Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Dad vs Paul Rodgers

OK nostalgia night, but I think you’ll dig this story. In 1967 or so we got a gig supporting Free, the number one band in the UK at the time, we were still at school, 15 yrs old, but you could do that in those days, no rules..
 It was at a place called ‘The Barn’ in the middle of nowhere, (herts?) our dads had to drive us there in the boy scout van..After they left us there to set up and went to the pub..we just pissed around with the van driving it all over the place and sitting on the roof etc
So at the gig we got up and did our thing..we were crap but I remember two naked women got up and danced on stage with us, like I said no rules, Then came the main act but we had to carry our gear back thru the audience to get it out, and the lights had gone down, anticipation..
Then one of my mates said that we’d left a plugboard on the stage. My Dad overheard..’Was that the plugboard that you’d saved up to buy?’..’Yeah Dad but leave it, Free are about to play to 1000 people’ ‘fuck that’ he said and with a huge rubber torch he pushed his way thru 1000 hippies and climbed onto the stage.
Paul Rodgers looked amazed but Dad was into his stride. I saw him foraging around the back of the Marshall stacks. Then to my eternal embarrassment he emerged with the plugboard, nudged Paul Rodgers aside and said into the mic ‘Got it son!’..and to the band ‘OK.. carry on lads’ Love you Dad RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment